761114 - Letter to S.L. Dhani written from Vrndavana
November 14, 1976
Deputy Secretary, 14 November, 1976
Krishna Balarama Mandir
Subject: The Times of India Article of November 7th 1976 concerning your paper on the Puranic theory of evolution.
The abovementioned International Society for Krishna Consciousness has published within the last ten years English translations of the Bhagavad Gita, Srimad Bhagavatam (Maha-purana), Caitanya Caritamrta, Isopanisad and many other volumes of India's most ancient Vedic cultural heritage, which are now translated into French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Italian, Chinese, etc. and which are being purchased by the millions all over the world.
Now, here in India, we are planning construction of a very large "Vedic Planetarium" or "Temple of Understanding". Within the planetarium we will construct a huge, detailed model of the universe as described in the text of the fifth canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam. Within the planetarium the model will be studied by onlookers from different levels by use of escalators. Detailed information will be given on open verandas at the different levels by means of dioramas, charts, films, etc.
The planetarium is planned to be approximately 400 feet high and will have floor space of approximately 90,000 sq. ft. The model will depict: (from bottom to top)
1) The lower planetary system (pataladi-saptaloka)
2) The earthly system (bhu-mandala with Sumeru in center, seven islands (saptadvipa), seven oceans (sapta-samudra), Manosattara Parvata, Lokaloka Parvata, Alokavarsa.
3) The Bhuvarloka (Siddha-caranadi-loka)
4) The upper planetary system (Svarga loka) beginning from the Sun, showing with electrial apparatus both its horizontal and vertical rotations, Rahu, the Moon, the Naksatras, the other seven planets ending with Saturn (Saniscara), the Saptarsis, and Dhruvaloka with Ksirodakasayi Visnu on the Ksirodaka ocean.
9) Garbhodakasayi Visnu lying on Sesanaga on the Garbhodaka ocean
10) The seven coverings of the universe
12) Karanarnavasayi visnu lying on the Karana-samudra
13) Impersonal brahmajyoti
14) Vaikunthaloka with the various Visnumurtis
15) Goloka Vrndavana
This model (approximately 200 feet high and 100 feet wide) will be engineered to suspend from the structure of the dome and rotate according to the real movement of the planets. The plans for this very large project are being taken solely from the references found in fifth canto Srimad Bhagavatam and its authoritative commentaries by important acaryas, along with other Puranas and Samhitas like Brahma-samhita etc.
As you can appreciate, the work involved in this project will be gigantic and the advice of many experts from all fields will be needed to make it come out successful. It will be a glorious exhibition of India's Vedic culture that will attract visitors from all the world. I am inquisitive to know how you can help us with this project, as I know you are an expert in the field of Puranic astronomy. Hoping to hear from you in the near future.
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
Hare Krishan Land
Gandhi Gram Rd.
Juhu, Bombay 400049