1956 Back to Godhead vol 3 part 03 - The Lowest of the Mankind
The Lowest of the Mankind
- na mam duskrtino mudhah prapadyante naradhamah
- mayayapahrta-jnana asuram bhavam asritah
Na=Not, Mam=Unto Me, Duskritino=The miscreants, Mudha=Grossly foolish, Prapadyante=Do surrender, Naradhama=The lowest of the mankind, Maoya=By the influence of illusory energy, Apahrita=Nullified, Jnana=All knowledge, Ashuram=Atheistic, Bhabam=Nature, Ashrith=Being taken up.
The miscreant, grossly foolish, lowest of the mankind, and nullified of all knowledge, does not surrender unto Me—being taken up by the atheistic nature.
It is said in the Bhagwat Geeta that simply by surrendering oneself unto the lotus feet of the Personality of Godhead, one can surmount the stringent laws of material nature. And therefore a question arises here how is that many educated philosophers, scientist, lawyers, businessmen, administrators and all such men who are practically the heads and leaders of ordinary men—do not surrender to the lotus feet of Shri Krishna (the all-powerful) 'Personality of Godhead'. Mukti, or liberation from the laws of material nature, is sought after by all the above mentioned heads of the human being in different ways and with great plans and perseverance for great many years and births. If that liberation is possible to be attained by the simple method of surrendering oneself, unto the lotus feet of the Supreme Lord, why then the leaders of the society who are highly intelligent (?) and hard worker do not adopt this simple method of solving all the hard-nut problems presented before them?
The Bhagwat Geeta gives answer to this question very frankly in this statement.
The answer is that those who are really learned leaders of society like Brahma, Shiva, Kapila, Kumara, Manu, Narada, Vyasa, Devala, Ashita, Janaka, Prahlada, Bali, and later on Madhyacharya, Ramanujacharya, Shri Chaitanya and many others in the line who are faithful philosophers, politicians, educationists, scientists etc., do certainly surrender unto the lotus feet of the Supreme Person, the all-powerful authority. But those who (?) not actually so but pose themselves as such philosopher, scientist, educationist, administrator (?) out of mental (?) do not accept the plan or (?) the Supreme Lord. (?) without a Second. Such (?) who has no (?) God, manufacture their (?) and make the (?) material existence more different in the name of making a solution for them. Because the material energy is too powerful, she can resist the unauthorised plans of the atheist and nullify the knowledge of such planning commissions into baffled adventures.
Such atheistic plan makers have been described herein by the word Duskritine, or the miscreants. 'Kritina' means one who has performed meritorious work. The atheist plan-maker is certainly very intelligent and meritorious also. Because any gigantic plan good or bad must tax the good brain for its execution. Because the atheist's brain is utilised in the wrong direction against the plan of the Supreme, and because the atheist does not know in fact the strength of the powerful material energy and also the mode of her work under the direction of the Supreme Lord, he (the atheistic plan maker) is called 'Duskritina' or the one whose merit is taxed in the wrong direction.
In the Bhagwat Geeta, it is clearly mentioned that the material energy works fully under the direction of the Supreme Lord. She has no independant authority.
She works like the shadow moves in accordance with the movements of the substance. But still she is very powerful also. As such the atheist, due to his godless temperament cannot know how the material nature works—neither he can know the plan of the Supreme Lord. Under such illusion and mode of passion and ignorance—all his (the atheist's) plans become baffled as in the case of Hiranya Kashipu and Ravana. All their plans were smashed into dust although both of them were materially learned, scientist, philosophers, administrators and educationists etc.
Such Duskritinas or miscreants are of four different patterns as mentioned below:—
(1) The Mudhas or those who are grossly foolish, like the hard working beasts of burden. They want to enjoy the fruits of their labour, by themselves and do not want to part with them for the Supreme. The typical example of the beast of burden is an ass. This humble creature is made to work very hard by the illusory method of its master the washerman. The ass does not know for whom he works so hard day and night. He remains satisfied by filling his stomach with a bundle of grass (fooding), sleeping for a while under a fear of being beaten by the washerman and by satisfying his sex-appetite even at the risk of being repeatedly kicked by the opposite party. The ass sings poetry and philosophy also sometime, creating a rabid disturbance to the whole quarter; that is the position of the foolish fruitive worker who does not know for whom he should work. He does not know that Karma is meant for Jajna. (yajnarthe karmam)
Whenever you meet such foolish worker, working very hard day and night for clearing the burden of his self-created duties,-you will find him saying that he has no time to hear anything about the immortal part of the living being. To such Mudhas, material gain, which are destructible, are all in all although the Mudha enjoys a very small fraction of the fruit of his labour. Such foolish fruitive worker will remain satisfied even without sleeping for days and months together and due to some indigestive disease, will remain satisfied practically without food and yet he would like to work hard day and night for the benefit of his created masters at home and abroad. Without the knowledge of his real master the foolish worker will waste his valuable time for something which is not his master. That is his illusion and he will never surrender to the Supreme Master of all masters, neither he will have time to hear about his real master in the proper channel. The Swine who eats the night soil will not care to accept sweet meats made of Sugar and Ghee. Such foolish worker will go on hearing continuously sense-enjoyable tidings of the flickering mundane world, but will have very little time to hear about the eternal living force of the mundane world.
(2) The next class of Duskritina or miscreants is called the Naradhamas or the lowest of the mankind. Nara means the human being and 'Adhama' means the lowest. Out of the 84 lacs of different species of living being, there are four lacs of human species. Out of them there are innumerable low grade human forms of life who are mostly uncivilized and there are only a very few class of men who are actually civilized. The civilized human being are those who have regulated principles of social, political and religious life. Those who are socially and politically developed but have no religious principles must be counted amongst the Naradhamas. Religion without God, is no religion because the purpose of following religions principles means to know the Supreme Truth and our relation with Him. In the Bhagwat Geeta, the Personality of Godhead has defined clearly that there is nothing above His authority and therefore He is the Supreme Truth. And the civilized form of human life is meant for reviving the lost consciousness of his eternal, relation with the Supreme Truth. The Personality of Godhead Shri Krishna (all powerful). The civilized human form of life is a chance to go Back to Godhead and whoever loses this chance is classified as the Naradhama. We get information from revealed scriptures that in the womb of the mother when the baby remains in extreme difficult position without any moving facility, the living baby prays to God for his deliverance and promises to worship Him alone as soon as he is out. That is a natural instinct of every living being to pray to God when he is in difficulty—because he is eternally related with God. But the child after his deliverance forgets the difficulties of birth and forgets his deliverer also influenced by Maya, the illusory material energy.
It is the duty of the guardians of children to revive the divine consciousness dormant in them. The ten processes of reformatory ceremonies as enjoined in the Manu-Smriti, which is the guide to religious principles, are meant for reviving God consciousness in the system of Varna Ashram. Nothing is strictly followed now in any part of the world and therefore 99.9 percent populations are Naradhama.
Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, in the mode of propagating the 'Bhagwat Dharma' or the activities of the devotees, has recommended people to hear submissively the message of the Personality of Godhead. The primary book of this message is the Bhagwat Geeta. He can deliver the lowest of the human being by this submissive hearing process only but unfortunately they deny to give even an aural reception to these messages and what to speak of surrendering to the will of the Supreme Lord.
Naradhama or the lowest of the mankind makes a willful negligence of the duty of human being.
(3) The next class of Duskritina or miscreant is called Maoya Apahrita Jnana or the person whose all erudite knowledge have been nullified by the influence of illusory material energy. They are mostly very learned fellows in the wrong direction. They are great philosophers, poets, litterateurs, scientists, etc. but the illusory energy misguides them to the wrong direction and therefore they have no obedience to the Supreme Lord. When the whole population as above mentioned becomes identified with the Naradhama, naturally all their so-called education are made to be null and void by the all-powerful energy of physical nature. According to the standard of Bhagwat Geeta, a learned fellow is he who can see on equal terms the learned Brahmin, the dog, the cow, the elephant and the chandala. That is the vision of a devotee. Shri Nityananda Prabhu who is the incarnation of Godhead as Divine Master—delivered the typical Naradhamas like Jagai and Madhai and showed the way how the mercy of a real devotee is bestowed upon the lowest of the mankind. So the Naradhama who is condemned by the Personality of Godhead—can again revive his divine consciousness by the mercy of a devotee only.
There are a great number of Maoya Apahrita Jnanas at the present moment even amongst the regular scholars of the Bhagwat Geeta. In the Bhagwat Geeta in plain and simple language, it is stated that Shri Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. There is none equal to or greater than Him. He is mentioned as the Father of Brahma the original father of all human being. Shri Krishna is said to be not only the father of Brahma but also the father of all species of life. He is the root of the Impersonal Brahman and Paramatma or the Super-Soul in every entity in His plenary portion. He is the Fountain Head of everything. Everyone is advised to surrender unto the lotus feet of Shri Krishna. In spite of all these clear statements the Maoya Apahrita Jnana eschew their own imaginative way. Such imaginative way of explanations are all unauthorised because they are not received in the real Parampara line or disciplic succession. Such Maoya Apahrita Jnana are described as Mudhas also because they deride at the person of the Supreme Lord for His feature like a human being. They do not know that the blessed human form of life is designed after the eternal and transcendental feature of the Supreme Lord.
All such unauthorised interpretations by the class of Maoya Apahrita Jnana outside the purview of Parampara system-are so many stumbling blocks in the path of spiritual understanding. Such Naradhamas do not surrender unto the lotus feet of Shri Krishna, nor do they teach others to follow such principles.
(4) The last class of Duskritina is called the Ashurabhabamashrita or the man of demoniac principles. In other words this class is atheist out right. Some of them argue that the Supreme Lord can never come down in this material world. But they are unable to give any tangible reason as to why He is so not enabled by the desire of an atheist? There are others who will make Him subordinate to the Impersonal feature although the contrary is said in the Bhagwat Geeta. Envious to the Supreme Personality of Godhead the atheist will present a number of illicit manufactured incarnations in the factory of his imaginative brain. Such persons whose very principle of life is to decry the Personality of Godhead cannot surrender unto the lotus feet of Shri Krishna.
Shree Jamunacharya Albandru of South India said, "Oh my Lord! You are unknowable to the persons taken up by the atheistic principles inspite of your uncommon qualities, features, and activities; inspite of your Personality being strongly confirmed by all the revealed scriptures in the quality of goodness; and in spite of your being acknowledged by the famous authorities renowned for their depth of knowledge in the transcendental science and situated in the godly qualities."
Therefore the (1) miscreants, (2) grossly foolish person (?) (3) the lowest of the mankind (?) (4) the atheistic principle (?) as above mentioned (?)surrender unto the (?) of the Personality of Godhead in spite of all scriptural and (?) support to the (?) words persons who (?) recognise the Supreme authority (?) the Lord must belong to (?) of the above groups.
Misdeeds of the Miscreant
Activities of the miscreant Ashuras or Atheist are described in the [[[BG 16.4 (1972)|Bhagwat Geeta]]] as follows:—
Dambha, Darpa, Abhimana, Cha, Krodha, Parushyam, Eba, Cha, Ajnanam, Cha, Abhijatasya, Partha, Sampadam, Ashurim.
Daibi, Sampat, Bimokshya, Nirbandha, Ashurim, Mata, Ma, Sucha, Sampadam, Daibim, Ashi, Pandaba.
Dambha=Vanity, Darpa=Pride, Abhimana=False sense, Cha=and, Krodha=Anger, Parushyam=Rudeness, Eba=Also, Cha=and, Ajnanam=Ignorance, Cha=and, Abhijatasya=one born in, Partha=Oh the son of Prithu, Sampadam=possessions, Ashurim=Atheistic.
Daibi=Godly, Sampat=Possessions, Bimokshaya=Leading to liberation, Nibandha=Leading to bondage, Ashurim=Atheistic, Mata=Ascertained, Ma=Do not, Sucha=Be disturbed, Sampadam=Possession, Daibim=Godly, Abhijata=Born in, Ashi=are, Pandaba=Oh the son of Pandu.
Oh the son of Prithu! The atheistic possessions of the Atheist are vanity, pride, false-sense, anger, rudeness and ignorance.
Know it from Me that the Godly possessions are leading to liberation while the possessions of the atheist are leading to bondage. But oh the son of Pandu, you are certainly born in the qualities of the faithful.
The miscreant atheist or the Naradhama class of men are vainly proud of their possessions like religiosity, wealth, etc. Such men do know very little of the meaning of religion and yet they post themselves as men of higher religious consciousness. Some of them dream of creating a Ram Rajya or the Kingdom of God without any obedience to the Personality of Godhead.
Similarly Ravana wanted to possess Sita the potential Kingdom of Rama. Without Rama. He wanted the possession of Sita the energy of Rama minus Rama the Supreme Lord without knowing that Rama and Sita are never to be separated. In such a mode of ignorance he posed himself as a great devotee of Lord Shiva (a show of religiosity). This is called vanity or false sense of religiosity.
Such false sense of religiosity makes the atheist very proud of his so-called wealth and education. A learned faithful devotee of the Personality of Godhead is never proud of his education and importance.
Due to such pride and vanity, the atheist will look for receiving respects, artificially, which he cannot command. Respects cannot be demanded but it is commanded. The atheist is always keen after material honour for his false prestige. When such hankerings are not fulfilled, he becomes angry and behaves very rudely with other respectable men.
The atheist is always keen for dethroning the Lord and sit on His seat (?) without knowing that the Supreme Lord can never be dethroned by any powerful attempt of an Ashura like Ravana. His only business is to kill the godly consciousness of human being by force which is a sign of ignorance. Such sense of denying the existence of Godhead, leads a living being to be entangled in the laws of physical nature. This means continuance of an existence of threefold miseries.
Atheistic temperament of human being is an artificial covering of the pure spirit soul and it is formed by unholy association. By culture of knowledge and by good association of devotees, one is able to give up his atheistic tendency, which procedure is always faultless. This faultless quality can be attained by culture of faithful performances of charity, restraint, sacrifice for God's service, penances, simplicity, studies of the Vedas, non-violence, truthfulness, calmness, renunciation, peace, not to speak ill of others, mercy, non-hankering, meekness, intelligence, cleanliness, prudence, strength of mind, forgiveness, devotion, etc.
A person who takes his birth in an auspicious moment by dint of his past pious actions does attain such good qualities leading to the path of liberation; but even if a person by dint of his past misdeeds has taken birth in an inauspicious moment—he can rectify his bad luck by good association of the transcendental devotees and thereby taking to the practice of devotional services. Back to Godhead is giving you such good chances. It contains the potent sound of the liberated souls.
All the above mentioned qualities are means to an ultimate end. They are not the end by themselves. The ultimate end is attainment of devotional service of the Supreme Lord in place of illusory service of the external energy. This is our eternal engagement as against the temporary life. Arjuna is assured of his ultimate goal because he was engaged in the service of the Lord. The Lord desired the war of Kurukshetra and to execute it was to serve the Lord. Arjuna was therefore immune from the reaction of the necessary cruel acts of a battlefield as a matter of course.
The atheist being devoid of this transcendental service, he does not know how to apply different energies at different place.