1960 Back to Godhead vol 3 part 21 - Chaitanya Charitamrta
ESSAYS AND TEXT
- Tritiya slokete kari vastur nirdesha
- Jahahaite hai paratatewer uddesh. (24)
In the third one I do indicate the Absolute Truth which is the substance. One can visualise the supreme truth by such description.
- Chaturtha slokete kari jagate ashirbad
- Sarbatra magige krishna-chaitanya prasad. (25)
In the 4th sloka I do invoke benediction of the Lord upon all over the world and for all of them I do pray to Lord Chaitanya for His mercy.
- Seyee sloke kari bahya avatar karana
- Sancha sastha sloke kahi mul prayojana. (26)
In the 4th sloka also I have explained the superfluous reason of Lord Chaitanya's incarnation. But in the fifth and sixth slokas I have explained the prime reason of His advent.
- Ayee Chhayasloke krishna chaitanyor tatwa
- Ar pancha sloke nityanander mahatwa. (27)
So in these six slokas I have described the truth about Lord Chaitanya whereas in the next five slokas I have described the glory about Nityananda.
- Ar dui sloke Adwiter-tatwa akhyan
- Ar ek sloke pancha tatwer byakhyan. (28)
In another two slokas the description of Adwita is given and in the remaining are the description of 'panchatatwa' i.e. (1) the Lord (2) His plenary portion (3) His incarnation (4) His energies and (5) His devotees etc. is shortly given.
- Ayee choudha sloke kari mangala-charan
- Tahim madhye kahi saba Vastu nirupana. (29)
Therefore in all these fourteen slokas I do invoke the benediction and as far as possible I do describe the Supreme Truth within such description.
- Sab shrota-Vaishnabou kari namaskar
- Ayee saba slokera kari artha-Vichar. (30)
I do offer my respectful obeisances unto my all Vaishnava readers and by doing so let me attempt to explain the purport of all the above mentioned slokas.
- Sakal Vaishnava suna kari eka mana
- Chaitanya Krishner sastre yemat nirupana. (31)
I request all my Vaishnava readers to read and hear with rapt attention the narration of Krishna Chaitanya as they are inculcated in the revealed scriptures.
- Krishna, gurudwaya bhakta avatar prakash
- Sakti-ayee Chhayarupe karuna Vilas. (32)
Lord Krishna enjoys Himself by manifesting Himself as twofold spiritual masters (1-2) devotee (3) incarnation (4) plenary portions (5) and diverse energies (6). They are all six in one.
- Ayee chhai tatwar kari charan vandan
- Prathame samanye kari Mangala-charan. (33)
I do therefore worship the lotus feet of all these six diversities of the one truth by invoking their benediction in general.
- Vande gurum ishabhaktan isham ishavatarakan
- Tatprakashancha, tat-saktee krishna chaitanya samijakan. (34)
(Translation see No. 1)
- Mantra guru ar yata siksha-guru gana,
- Tahar charana age kariye vandana. (35)
The initiator spiritual master and all the instructor spiritual masters are first of all offered respectful obeisances at their lotus feet.
- Sri Rupa Sanatan Bhatta Raghunatha
- Sri Jiva Gopal Bhatta Das Raghunath. (36)
The instructor spiritual masters are (1) Sri Rupa Goswami (2) Sri Sanatan Goswami (3) Sri Bhatta Raghunatha (4) Sri Jiva Goswami (5) Sri Gopal Bhatta Goswami and (6) Srila Raghunath Das Goswami.
- Ayee chhai guru siksha guru ye amar
- Ta sabar padapadme koti namaskar. (37)
All these six spiritual masters are my instructors and therefore I do offer unto their feet my millions of respectful obeisances.
- Bhagabaner bhakta yata srib sa pradhana
- Tahar charanapadme sahasra pranama. (38)
There are innumerable devotees of the Lord but out of them Srinibasa Thakur is the foremost one. I therefore do offer my obeisances unto his lotus feet.
- Adwita acharya prabhur ansa avatara
- Tahar pada padme koti-pranti amar. (39)
Adwita acharya is the Lord's partial incarnation and therefore I do offer my obeisances in crores at His lotus feet.
- Nityananda rai prabhur swarup prakash
- Tahar padapadma vando yar muidas. (40)
Srila Nityanandarai is the plenary manifestation of the Lord and I am also initiated by Him. I do therefore offer my obeisances unto Him.
- Gadadhar pandit adi prabhur nija-sakti
- Tansabar charane more sahasra pranati. (41)
Srila Gadadhar pandit and many others are the internal potencies of the Lord and to all of them I do offer my respectful obeisances.
- Shrikrishna chaitanya prabhu swayam bhagaban
- Tanhar padaravinde ananta pranam. (42)
Lord Shrikrishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is the Personality of God Himself and therefore I have my innumerable prostrations at His lotus feet.
- Sabarane prabhure karia namaskar
- Aye chhay tenho jaichhekaria vichar. (43)
After offering my obeisances unto the Lord along with His all associates, I shall try to explain now the six diversities of one only as they are.
- Jadyapi amar guru chaitanyer das
- Tathapi janiye ami tanhar prakash. (44)
Although I know that my spiritual master is the servitor of Sri Chaitanya yet I know Him also as the plenary manifestation of the Lord.
- Guru Krishna rupa han shastrer pramaney.
- Guru-rupe Krishnakripa karen bhaktagane. (45)
The spiritual master is nondifferent from Krishna—is the deliberate opinion of all revealed scriptures. Because it is Krishna only who delivers His devotees in the form of spiritual master.
- Acharyam mam vijaniyat na aba-manneta karhichit.
- Na marta budhya asuyeta sarbade-vamaya guru. (46)
- (Bhag : 11/17/22)
The Lord said, "You should know the Acharya as Myself and then He must never be disrespected in any way. He may not be envied in the way of an ordinary common man because He is the representative of all gods."
- Siksha guruke ta jani Krishner swarupa
- Antaryami, bhakta srestha-aye dui rupa. (47)
One should know the instructor spiritual master as the Personality of Krishna. He (Krishna) manifests Himself as the supersoul as well as the devotee of the first order.
- Naibopayantyapachitim kabayas-tabesha
- Brahmayashapi krita mridha udah smarantah.
- Jo antarbaht tanuvritam asubham vidhunwan
- Acharya chaita bapusha swagatim vanakti. (48)
- (Bhag : 11/29/6)
Oh! My Lord! nobody can sufficiently acknowledge his obligation unto You even such devotees have lived as long a period as that of the age of Brahma. Because you do manifest yourself in two features namely externally as the Acharya and internally as the super-soul in order to deliver the embodied living being by giving him directions as to how he can go unto You.
- Tesham satata yuktanam bhajajam pritipurvakam
- Dadami buddhe yogam tam yena mam upayanti te. (49)
- (Bhag : Gita 10/19)
"Those who are constantly engaged in the devotional service of the Lord with transcendental love—to them only I do give directions of pure knowledge so that they can come back to My supreme abode."
- Jnanam paramaguhyam me yad-vijnana samanvitam
- Sarasyam tad angam cha grihana gaditam moya. (50-51)
- (Bhag : 2/9/30)
The Lord said unto Brahma, "Please hear attentively what I am speaking over to you that transcendental knowledge about Me is not only scientific but also it is full of mepheries."
Yaban aham yathab hava yad rupa gunakarmakah Tatha eba tatwa vijnanam astu te madanugrahat. (52) (Bhag : 2/9/31)
"My personality, my manifestations, qualities, and pastimes as they are in truth, let all these be enlightened in you defacto by My mercy."
- Aham eba asam eba agre na anyat-yat sad asat param
- Paschad aham yad etat cha jo aba-shiryate sa asmiham. (53)
- (Bhag : 2/9/32)
"Prior to the cosmic creation it was I only there. Everything what is called as phenomenal up to impersonal Brahman nothing existed independantly of Me.
"When there was creation, it is I only which exists in everyting and there annihilation, it is I only that shall remain eternally."
- Rita artham yat pratu yeta na pratuyeta cha atmani
- Tad vidyat abmano mayam yatha tamale. (54)
- (Bhag : 2/9/33)
"What appears to be truth without Me although nothing can exist without Me-such misunderstanding is called the illusory energy of the Supreme Lord. There is nothing such misunderstanding in My internal energy. It is just like reflection of the reality, light on the shadow. In light however there is neither shadow nor reflection."
- Yatha mahantibhutani uchchaba-chesu anu
- Prabirtani abrabirtani tathateshu na teshu aham. (55)
- (Bhag : 2/9/34)
"As the five elements of nature