Devotees serve Vanipedia and Vanipedia serves the world - a success formula to save humanity
Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
740712 - Chanting CC Adi-lila 12th Chapter, Verses 1–96 - Los Angeles
The Expansions of Advaita Ācārya and Gadādhara Paṇḍita - CC Adi-lila 12th Chapter
- advaitāṅghry-abja-bhṛṅgāṁs tān
- sārāsāra-bhṛto ‘khilān
- hitvāsārān sāra-bhṛto
- naumi caitanya-jīvanān
The followers of Śrī Advaita Prabhu were of two kinds. Some were real followers, and the others were false. Rejecting the false followers, I offer my respectful obeisances to Śrī Advaita Ācārya’s real followers, whose life and soul was Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu.
- jaya jaya mahāprabhu śrī-kṛṣṇa-caitanya
- jaya jaya nityānanda jayādvaita dhanya
All glories to Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu! All glories to Lord Nityānanda! All glories to Śrī Advaita Prabhu! All of Them are glorious.
- śākhā-rūpān gaṇān numaḥ
I offer my respectful obeisances to the all-glorious Advaita Prabhu, who forms the second branch of the eternal Caitanya tree, and to His followers, who form His subbranches.
- vṛkṣera dvitīya skandha—ācārya-gosāñi
- tāṅra yata śākhā ha-ila, tāra lekhā nāñi
Śrī Advaita Prabhu was the second big branch of the tree. There are many subbranches, but it is impossible to mention them all.
- caitanya-mālīra kṛpā-jalera secane
- sei jale puṣṭa skandha bāḍe dine dine
Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu was also the gardener, and as He poured the water of His mercy on the tree, all the branches and subbranches grew, day after day.
- sei skandhe yata prema-phala upajila
- sei kṛṣṇa-prema-phale jagat bharila
The fruits of love of Godhead that grew on those branches of the Caitanya tree were so large that they flooded the entire world with love of Kṛṣṇa.
- sei jala skandhe kare śākhāte sañcāra
- phale-phule bāḍe,—śākhā ha-ila vistāra
As the trunk and branches were watered, the branches and subbranches spread lavishly, and the tree grew full with fruits and flowers.
- prathame ta’ eka-mata ācāryera gaṇa
- pāche dui-mata haila daivera kāraṇa
At first all the followers of Advaita Ācārya shared a single opinion. But later they followed two different opinions, as ordained by providence.
- keha ta’ ācārya ājñāya, keha ta’ svatantra
- sva-mata kalpanā kare daiva-paratantra
Some of the disciples strictly accepted the orders of the ācārya, and others deviated, independently concocting their own opinions under the spell of daivī-māyā.
- ācāryera mata yei, sei mata sāra
- tāṅra ājñā laṅghi’ cale, sei ta’ asāra
The order of the spiritual master is the active principle in spiritual life. Anyone who disobeys the order of the spiritual master immediately becomes useless.
- asārera nāme ihāṅ nāhi prayojana
- bheda jānibāre kari ekatra gaṇana
There is no need to name those who are useless. I have mentioned them only to distinguish them from the useful devotees.
- dhānya-rāśi māpe yaiche pātnā sahite
- paścāte pātnā uḍāñā saṁskāra karite
Paddy is mixed with straw at first, and one must fan it to separate the paddy from the straw.
- acyutānanda—baḍa śākhā, ācārya-nandana
- ājanma sevilā teṅho caitanya-caraṇa
A big branch of Advaita Ācārya was His son Acyutānanda. From the beginning of his life he engaged in the service of the lotus feet of Lord Caitanya.
- caitanya-gosāñira guru—keśava bhāratī
- ei pitāra vākya śuni’ duḥkha pāila ati
When Acyutānanda heard from his father that Keśava Bhāratī was the spiritual master of Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu, he was very unhappy.
- jagad-gurute tumi kara aiche upadeśa
- tomāra ei upadeśe naṣṭa ha-ila deśa
He told his father, “Your instruction that Keśava Bhāratī is the spiritual master of Caitanya Mahāprabhu will spoil the entire country.
- caudda bhuvanera guru—caitanya-gosāñi
- tāṅra guru—anya, ei kona śāstre nāi
“Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu is the spiritual master of the fourteen worlds, but You say that someone else is His spiritual master. This is not supported by any revealed scripture.”
- pañcama varṣera bālaka kahe siddhāntera sāra
- śuniyā pāilā ācārya santoṣa apāra
When Advaita Ācārya heard this statement from His five-year-old son Acyutānanda, He felt great satisfaction because of his conclusive judgment.
- kṛṣṇa-miśra-nāma āra ācārya-tanaya
- caitanya-gosāñi baise yāṅhāra hṛdaya
Kṛṣṇa Miśra was a son of Advaita Ācārya. Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu always sat in his heart.
- śrī-gopāla-nāme āra ācāryera suta
- tāṅhāra caritra, śuna, atyanta adbhuta
Śrī Gopāla was another son of Śrī Advaita Ācārya Prabhu. Now just hear about his characteristics, for they are all very wonderful.
- guṇḍicā-mandire mahāprabhura sammukhe
- kīrtane nartana kare baḍa prema-sukhe
When Lord Caitanya personally cleansed the Guṇḍicā-mandira in Jagannātha Purī, Gopāla danced in front of the Lord with great love and happiness.
- nānā-bhāvodgama dehe adbhuta nartana
- dui gosāñi ‘hari’ bale, ānandita mana
While Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu and Advaita Prabhu chanted the Hare Kṛṣṇa mantra and danced, there were various ecstatic symptoms in Their bodies, and Their minds were very pleased.
- nācite nācite gopāla ha-ila mūrcchita
- bhūmete paḍila, dehe nāhika saṁvita
While all of them danced, Gopāla, dancing and dancing, fainted and fell to the ground unconscious.
- duḥkhita ha-ilā ācārya putra kole lañā
- rakṣā kare nṛsiṁhera mantra paḍiyā
Advaita Ācārya Prabhu became very unhappy. Taking His son on His lap, He began to chant the Nṛsiṁha mantra for his protection.
- nānā mantra paḍena ācārya, nā haya cetana
- ācāryera duḥkhe vaiṣṇava karena krandana
Advaita Ācārya chanted various mantras, but Gopāla did not come to consciousness. Thus all the Vaiṣṇavas present cried in sorrow at His plight.
- tabe mahāprabhu, tāṅra hṛde hasta dhari’
- ‘uṭhaha, gopāla,’ kaila bala ‘hari’ ‘hari’
Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu then put His hand on the chest of Gopāla and told him, “My dear Gopāla, get up and chant the holy name of the Lord!”
- uṭhila gopāla prabhura sparśa-dhvani śuni’
- ānandita hañā sabe kare hari-dhvani
When he heard this sound and felt the touch of the Lord, Gopāla immediately got up, and all the Vaiṣṇavas chanted the Hare Kṛṣṇa mahā-mantra in jubilation.
- ācāryera āra putra—śrī-balarāma
- āra putra—‘svarūpa’-śākhā, ‘jagadīśa’ nāma
The other sons of Advaita Ācārya were Śrī Balarāma, Svarūpa and Jagadīśa.
- ‘kamalākānta viśvāsa’-nāma ācārya-kiṅkara
- ācārya-vyavahāra saba—tāṅhāra gocara
Advaita Ācārya’s very confidential servant named Kamalākānta Viśvāsa knew all the dealings of Advaita Ācārya.
- nīlācale teṅho eka patrikā likhiyā
- pratāparudrera pāśa dila pāṭhāiyā
When Kamalākānta Viśvāsa was in Jagannātha Purī, he sent a note through someone to Mahārāja Pratāparudra.
- sei patrīra kathā ācārya nāhi jāne
- kona pāke sei patrī āila prabhu-sthāne
No one knew of that note, but somehow or other it reached the hands of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu.
- se patrīte lekhā āche—ei ta’ likhana
- īśvaratve ācāryere kariyāche sthāpana
That note established Advaita Ācārya as an incarnation of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.
- kintu tāṅra daive kichu ha-iyāche ṛṇa
- ṛṇa śodhibāre cāhi taṅkā śata-tina
But it also mentioned that Advaita Ācārya had recently incurred a debt of about three hundred rupees that Kamalākānta Viśvāsa wanted to liquidate.
- patra paḍiyā prabhura mane haila duḥkha
- bāhire hāsiyā kichu bale candra-mukha
Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu became unhappy upon reading the note, although His face still shone as brightly as the moon. Thus, smiling, He spoke as follows.
- ācāryere sthāpiyāche kariyā īśvara
- ithe doṣa nāhi, ācārya—daivata īśvara
“He has established Advaita Ācārya as an incarnation of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. There is nothing wrong in this, for He is indeed the Lord Himself.
- īśvarera dainya kari’ kariyāche bhikṣā
- ataeva daṇḍa kari’ karāiba śikṣā
“But he has made the incarnation of Godhead a poverty-stricken beggar. Therefore I shall punish him in order to correct him.”
- govindere ājñā dila,—“iṅhā āji haite
- bāuliyā viśvāse ethā nā dibe āsite”
The Lord ordered Govinda, “From today on, do not allow that bāuliyā Kamalākānta Viśvāsa to come here.”
- daṇḍa śuni’ ‘viśvāsa’ ha-ila parama duḥkhita
- śuniyā prabhura daṇḍa ācārya harṣita
When Kamalākānta Viśvāsa heard about this punishment by Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, he was very unhappy, but when Advaita Prabhu heard about it, He was greatly pleased.
- viśvāsere kahe,—tumi baḍa bhāgyavān
- tomāre karila daṇḍa prabhu bhagavān
Seeing Kamalākānta Viśvāsa unhappy, Advaita Ācārya Prabhu told him, “You are greatly fortunate to have been punished by the Supreme Lord, the Personality of Godhead, Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu.
- pūrve mahāprabhu more karena sammāna
- duḥkha pāi’ mane āmi kailuṅ anumāna
“Formerly Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu always respected Me as His senior, but I did not like such respect. Therefore, My mind being afflicted by unhappiness, I made a plan.
- mukti—śreṣṭha kari’ kainu vāśiṣṭha vyākhyāna
- kruddha hañā prabhu more kaila apamāna
“Thus I expounded the Yoga-vāśiṣṭha, which considers liberation the ultimate goal of life. For this the Lord became angry at Me and treated Me with apparent disrespect.
- daṇḍa pāñā haila mora parama ānanda
- ye daṇḍa pāila bhāgyavān śrī-mukunda
“When chastised by Lord Caitanya, I was very happy to receive a punishment similar to that awarded Śrī Mukunda.
- ye daṇḍa pāila śrī-śacī bhāgyavatī
- se daṇḍa prasāda anya loka pābe kati
“A similar punishment was awarded to mother Śacīdevī. Who could be more fortunate than she to receive such punishment?”
- eta kahi’ ācārya tāṅre kariyā āśvāsa
- ānandita ha-iyā āila mahāprabhu-pāśa
After pacifying Kamalākānta Viśvāsa in this way, Śrī Advaita Ācārya Prabhu went to see Caitanya Mahāprabhu.
- prabhuke kahena—tomāra nā bujhi e līlā
- āmā haite prasāda-pātra karilā kamalā
Śrī Advaita Ācārya told Lord Caitanya, “I cannot understand Your transcendental pastimes. You have shown more favor to Kamalākānta than You generally show to Me.
- āmāreha kabhu yei nā haya prasāda
- tomāra caraṇe āmi ki kainu aparādha
“The favor You have shown Kamalākānta is so great that even to Me You have never shown such favor. What offense have I committed at Your lotus feet so as not to be shown such favor?”
- eta śuni’ mahāprabhu hāsite lāgilā
- bolāiyā kamalākānte prasanna ha-ilā
Hearing this, Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu laughed with satisfaction and immediately called Kamalākānta Viśvāsa.
- ācārya kahe, ihāke kene dile daraśana
- dui prakārete kare more viḍambana
Advaita Ācārya then said to Caitanya Mahāprabhu, “Why have You called back this man and allowed him to see You? He has cheated Me in two ways.”
- śuniyā prabhura mana prasanna ha-ila
- duṅhāra antara-kathā duṅhe se jānila
When Caitanya Mahāprabhu heard this, His mind was satisfied. Only They could understand each other’s minds.
- prabhu kahe—bāuliyā, aiche kāhe kara
- ācāryera lajjā-dharma-hāni se ācara
Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu instructed Kamalākānta, “You are a bāuliyā, one who does not know things as they are. Why do you act in this way? Why do you invade the privacy of Advaita Ācārya and damage His religious principles?
- pratigraha kabhu nā karibe rāja-dhana
- viṣayīra anna khāile duṣṭa haya mana
“Advaita Ācārya, My spiritual master, should never accept charity from rich men or kings, because if a spiritual master accepts money or grains from such materialists his mind becomes polluted.
- mana duṣṭa ha-ile nahe kṛṣṇera smaraṇa
- kṛṣṇa-smṛti vinu haya niṣphala jīvana
“When one’s mind is polluted, it is very difficult to remember Kṛṣṇa, and when remembrance of Lord Kṛṣṇa is hampered, one’s life is unproductive.
- loka-lajjā haya, dharma-kīrti haya hāni
- aiche karma nā kariha kabhu ihā jāni’
“Thus one becomes unpopular in the eyes of the people in general, for this damages his religiosity and fame. A Vaiṣṇava, especially one who acts as a spiritual master, must not act in such a way. One should always be conscious of this fact.”
- ei śikṣā sabākāre, sabe mane kaila
- ācārya-gosāñi mane ānanda pāila
When Caitanya Mahāprabhu gave this instruction to Kamalākānta, all present considered it to be meant for everyone. Thus Advaita Ācārya was greatly pleased.
- ācāryera abhiprāya prabhu-mātra bujhe
- prabhura gambhīra vākya ācārya samujhe
Only Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu could understand the intentions of Advaita Ācārya, and Advaita Ācārya appreciated the grave instruction of Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu.
- ei ta’ prastāve āche bahuta vicāra
- grantha-bāhulya-bhaye nāri likhibāra
In this statement there are many confidential considerations. I do not write of them all, fearing an unnecessary increase in the volume of the book.
- śrī-yadunandanācārya—advaitera śākhā
- tāṅra śākhā-upaśākhāra nāhi haya lekhā
The fifth branch of Advaita Ācārya was Śrī Yadunandana Ācārya, who had so many branches and subbranches that it is impossible to write of them.
- vāsudeva dattera teṅho kṛpāra bhājana
- sarva-bhāve āśriyāche caitanya-caraṇa
Śrī Yadunandana Ācārya was a student of Vāsudeva Datta, and he received all his mercy. Therefore he could accept Lord Caitanya’s lotus feet, from all angles of vision, as the supreme shelter.
- bhāgavatācārya, āra viṣṇudāsācārya
- cakrapāṇi ācārya, āra ananta ācārya
Bhāgavata Ācārya, Viṣṇudāsa Ācārya, Cakrapāṇi Ācārya and Ananta Ācārya were the sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth branches of Advaita Ācārya.
- nandinī, āra kāmadeva, caitanya-dāsa
- durlabha viśvāsa, āra vanamāli-dāsa
Nandinī, Kāmadeva, Caitanya dāsa, Durlabha Viśvāsa and Vanamālī dāsa were the tenth, eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth and fourteenth branches of Śrī Advaita Ācārya.
- jagannātha kara, āra kara bhavanātha
- hṛdayānanda sena, āra dāsa bholānātha
Jagannātha Kara, Bhavanātha Kara, Hṛdayānanda Sena and Bholānātha dāsa were the fifteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth branches of Advaita Ācārya.
- yādava-dāsa, vijaya-dāsa, dāsa janārdana
- ananta-dāsa, kānu-paṇḍita, dāsa nārāyaṇa
Yādava dāsa, Vijaya dāsa, Janārdana dāsa, Ananta dāsa, Kānu Paṇḍita and Nārāyaṇa dāsa were the nineteenth, twentieth, twenty-first, twenty-second, twenty-third and twenty-fourth branches of Advaita Ācārya.
- śrīvatsa paṇḍita, brahmacārī haridāsa
- puruṣottama brahmacārī, āra kṛṣṇadāsa
Śrīvatsa Paṇḍita, Haridāsa Brahmacārī, Puruṣottama Brahmacārī and Kṛṣṇadāsa were the twenty-fifth, twenty-sixth, twenty-seventh and twenty-eighth branches of Advaita Ācārya.
- puruṣottama paṇḍita, āra raghunātha
- vanamālī kavicandra, āra vaidyanātha
Puruṣottama Paṇḍita, Raghunātha, Vanamālī Kavicandra and Vaidyanātha were the twenty-ninth, thirtieth, thirty-first and thirty-second branches of Advaita Ācārya.
- lokanātha paṇḍita, āra murāri paṇḍita
- śrī-haricaraṇa, āra mādhava paṇḍita
Lokanātha Paṇḍita, Murāri Paṇḍita, Śrī Haricaraṇa and Mādhava Paṇḍita were the thirty-third, thirty-fourth, thirty-fifth and thirty-sixth branches of Advaita Ācārya.
- vijaya paṇḍita, āra paṇḍita śrīrāma
- asaṅkhya advaita-śākhā kata la-iba nāma
Vijaya Paṇḍita and Śrīrāma Paṇḍita were two important branches of Advaita Ācārya. There are innumerable branches, but I am unable to mention them all.
- māli-datta jala advaita-skandha yogāya
- sei jale jīye śākhā,—phula-phala pāya
The Advaita Ācārya branch received the water supplied by the original gardener, Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu. In this way, the subbranches were nourished, and their fruits and flowers grew luxuriantly.
- ihāra madhye mālī pāche kona śākhā-gaṇa
- nā māne caitanya-mālī durdaiva kāraṇa
After the disappearance of Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu, some of the branches, for unfortunate reasons, deviated from His path.
- sṛjāila, jīyāila, tāṅre nā mānila
- kṛtaghna ha-ilā, tāṅre skandha kruddha ha-ila
Some branches did not accept the original trunk that vitalized and maintained the entire tree. When they thus became ungrateful, the original trunk was angry at them.
- kruddha hañā skandha tāre jala nā sañcāre
- jalābhāve kṛśa śākhā śukāiyā mare
Thus Lord Caitanya did not sprinkle upon them the water of His mercy, and they gradually withered and died.
- caitanya-rahita deha—śuṣkakāṣṭha-sama
- jīvitei mṛta sei, maile daṇḍe yama
A person without Kṛṣṇa consciousness is no better than dry wood or a dead body. He is understood to be dead while living, and after death he is punishable by Yamarāja.
- kevala e gaṇa-prati nahe ei daṇḍa
- caitanya-vimukha yei sei ta’ pāṣaṇḍa
Not only the misguided descendants of Advaita Ācārya but anyone who is against the cult of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu should be considered an atheist subject to be punished by Yamarāja.
- ki paṇḍita, ki tapasvī, kibā gṛhī, yati
- caitanya-vimukha yei, tāra ei gati
Be he a learned scholar, a great ascetic, a successful householder or a famous sannyāsī, one who is against the cult of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu is destined to suffer the punishment meted out by Yamarāja.
- ye ye laila śrī-acyutānandera mata
- sei ācāryera gaṇa—mahā-bhāgavata
The descendants of Advaita Ācārya who accepted the path of Śrī Acyutānanda were all great devotees.
- sei sei,—ācāryera kṛpāra bhājana
- anāyāse pāila sei caitanya-caraṇa
By the mercy of Advaita Ācārya, the devotees who strictly followed the path of Caitanya Mahāprabhu attained the shelter of Lord Caitanya’s lotus feet without difficulty.
- acyutera yei mata, sei mata sāra
- āra yata mata saba haila chārakhāra
It should be concluded, therefore, that the path of Acyutānanda is the essence of spiritual life. Those who did not follow this path simply scattered.
- sei ācārya-gaṇe mora koṭi namaskāra
- acyutānanda-prāya, caitanya—jīvana yāṅhāra
I therefore offer my respectful obeisances millions of times to Acyutānanda’s actual followers, whose life and soul was Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu.
- ei ta’ kahilāṅ ācārya-gosāñira gaṇa
- tina skandha-śākhāra kaila saṅkṣepa gaṇana
Thus I have briefly described the three branches [Acyutānanda, Kṛṣṇa Miśra and Gopāla] of Śrī Advaita Ācārya’s descendants.
- śākhā-upaśākhā, tāra nāhika gaṇana
- kichu-mātra kahi’ kari dig-daraśana
There are multifarious branches and subbranches of Advaita Ācārya. It is very difficult to enumerate them fully. I have simply given a glimpse of the whole trunk and its branches and subbranches.
- śrī-gadādhara paṇḍita śākhāte mahottama
- tāṅra upaśākhā kichu kari ye gaṇana
After describing the branches and subbranches of Advaita Ācārya, I shall now attempt to describe some of the descendants of Śrī Gadādhara Paṇḍita, the most important among the branches.
- śākhā-śreṣṭha dhruvānanda, śrīdhara brahmacārī
- bhāgavatācārya, haridāsa brahmacārī
The chief branches of Śrī Gadādhara Paṇḍita were (1) Śrī Dhruvānanda, (2) Śrīdhara Brahmacārī, (3) Haridāsa Brahmacārī and (4) Bhāgavata Ācārya.
- ananta ācārya, kavidatta, miśra-nayana
- gaṅgāmantrī māmu ṭhākura, kaṇṭhābharaṇa
The fifth branch was Ananta Ācārya; the sixth, Kavi Datta; the seventh, Nayana Miśra; the eighth, Gaṅgāmantrī; the ninth, Māmu Ṭhākura; and the tenth, Kaṇṭhābharaṇa.
- bhūgarbha gosāñi, āra bhāgavata-dāsa
- yei dui āsi’ kaila vṛndāvane vāsa
The eleventh branch of Gadādhara Gosvāmī was Bhūgarbha Gosāñi, and the twelfth was Bhāgavata dāsa. Both of them went to Vṛndāvana and resided there for life.
- vāṇīnātha brahmacārī—baḍa mahāśaya
The thirteenth branch was Vāṇīnātha Brahmacārī, and the fourteenth was Vallabha-caitanya dāsa. Both of these great personalities were always filled with love of Kṛṣṇa.
- śrīnātha cakravartī, āra uddhava dāsa
- jitāmitra, kāṣṭhakāṭā-jagannātha-dāsa
The fifteenth branch was Śrīnātha Cakravartī; the sixteenth, Uddhava; the seventeenth, Jitāmitra; and the eighteenth, Jagannātha dāsa.
- śrī-hari ācārya, sādi-puriyā gopāla
- kṛṣṇadāsa brahmacārī, puṣpa-gopāla
The nineteenth branch was Śrī Hari Ācārya; the twentieth, Sādipuriyā Gopāla; the twenty-first, Kṛṣṇadāsa Brahmacārī; and the twenty-second, Puṣpagopāla.
- śrīharṣa, raghu-miśra, paṇḍita lakṣmīnātha
- baṅgavāṭī-caitanya-dāsa, śrī-raghunātha
The twenty-third branch was Śrīharṣa; the twenty-fourth, Raghu Miśra; the twenty-fifth, Lakṣmīnātha Paṇḍita; the twenty-sixth, Baṅgavāṭī Caitanya dāsa; and the twenty-seventh, Raghunātha.
- amogha paṇḍita, hasti-gopāla, caitanya-vallabha
- yadu gāṅguli āra maṅgala vaiṣṇava
The twenty-eighth branch was Amogha Paṇḍita; the twenty-ninth, Hastigopāla; the thirtieth, Caitanya-vallabha; the thirty-first, Yadu Gāṅguli; and the thirty-second, Maṅgala Vaiṣṇava.
- cakravartī śivānanda sadā vrajavāsī
- mahāśākhā-madhye teṅho sudṛḍha viśvāsī
Śivānanda Cakravartī, the thirty-third branch, who always lived in Vṛndāvana with firm conviction, is considered an important branch of Gadādhara Paṇḍita.
- ei ta’ saṅkṣepe kahilāṅ paṇḍitera gaṇa
- aiche āra śākhā-upaśākhāra gaṇana
Thus I have briefly described the branches and subbranches of Gadādhara Paṇḍita. There are still many more that I have not mentioned here.
- paṇḍitera gaṇa saba,—bhāgavata dhanya
- prāṇa-vallabha—sabāra śrī-kṛṣṇa-caitanya
All the followers of Gadādhara Paṇḍita are considered great devotees because they have Lord Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu as their life and soul.
- ei tina skandhera kailuṅ śākhāra gaṇana
- yāṅ-sabā-smaraṇe bhava-bandha-vimocana
Simply by remembering the names of all these branches and subbranches of the three trunks I have described [Nityānanda, Advaita and Gadādhara], one attains freedom from the entanglement of material existence.
- yāṅ-sabā-smaraṇe pāi caitanya-caraṇa
- yāṅ-sabā-smaraṇe haya vāñchita pūraṇa
Simply by remembering the names of all these Vaiṣṇavas, one can attain the lotus feet of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu. Indeed, simply by remembering their holy names, one achieves the fulfillment of all desires.
- ataeva tāṅ-sabāra vandiye caraṇa
- caitanya-mālīra kahi līlā-anukrama
Therefore, offering my obeisances at the lotus feet of them all, I shall describe the pastimes of the gardener, Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu, in chronological order.
- gaura-līlāmṛta-sindhu—apāra agādha
- ke karite pāre tāhāṅ avagāha-sādha
The ocean of the pastimes of Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu is immeasurable and unfathomable. Who can have the courage to measure that great ocean?
- tāhāra mādhurya-gandhe lubdha haya mana
- ataeva taṭe rahi’ cāki eka kaṇa
It is not possible to dip into that great ocean, but its sweet mellow fragrance attracts my mind. I therefore stand on the shore of that ocean to try to taste but a drop of it.
- śrī-rūpa-raghunātha-pade yāra āśa
- caitanya-caritāmṛta kahe kṛṣṇadāsa
Praying at the lotus feet of Śrī Rūpa and Śrī Raghunātha, always desiring their mercy, I, Kṛṣṇadāsa, narrate Śrī Caitanya-caritāmṛta, following in their footsteps.